What is Lead?
Lead overexposure is one of the most common overexposure’s found in industry and is a leading cause of workplace illness.
It is also a major potential public health risk. In general populations, lead may be present in hazardous concentrations in food, water, and air. Sources include paint, urban dust, and folk remedies. Lead poisoning is the leading environmentally induced illness in children. At greatest risk are children under the age of six because they are undergoing rapid neurological and physical development.
In the majority of cases, lead-based paint removal should be handled by a professional. ACM+
Environmental is a certified lead-removal contractor. We follow strict procedures to minimize, control and contain the lead dust created by the removal process.
Our team is trained in:
“lead-safe work practices of proper containment and removal, thorough site decontamination, and lawful disposal”
Used extensively for interior and exterior residential surfaces, toys and furniture from the 1940s to the late 1970s, lead-based paint was banned in 1978 by the Consumer Product Safety Commission after the serious and often life threatening ramifications of exposure were determined. Additionally, if you are selling or leasing an older home, you are required to disclose the presence of lead.
Lead-based paint is a health hazard – it is a major source of lead poisoning for children but may also affect adults and pets. When lead-based paint on surfaces is sanded or scraped, it breaks into tiny, sometimes invisible pieces that children can swallow or inhale. It is more common for individuals to ingest dust and soil contaminated with lead from paint that flakes or chalks as it ages. Lead dust can settle on floors, walls and furniture; it can also be ingested through hand-to-mouth contact and re-enter the air via cleaning or movement throughout the home.