Demolition, Asbestos Testing, Mold Testing, Lead Testing & Inspections
Call us! (562) 633-3862
info@acmplus.com

Mold

mold-fungy
If you have mold in your home and business you should be concerned!

ACM Environmental Services provides you with expert service to find and remove mold that could be hidden inside your walls, ceilings, floors, basement, crawl space, attic, as well as HVAC equipment and ducts. All of our technicians are certified and experienced in mold inspection (mold assessment), mold testing, and mold remediation (removal of mold); our training includes sampling and remediation protocols and use of state-of-the-art equipment.

 

What are molds?

Molds are simple, microscopic organisms, present virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Molds, along with mushrooms and yeasts, are fungi and are needed to break down dead plant and animal material and recycle nutrients in the environment. For molds to grow and reproduce, they need only a food source—any organic matter, such as leaves, wood, or paper—and moisture. Because molds grow by digesting organic material, they gradually destroy whatever they grow on. Sometimes, new molds even grow on old mold colonies. Mold growth on surfaces can often be seen in the form of discoloration, frequently white, gray, brown, or black but also green and other colors.

Can mold become a problem in my home?

Yes. Molds will grow and multiply whenever conditions are right, that is, when sufficient moisture is available and organic matter is present.

Be on the lookout for the following common sources of moisture inside and outside your home that may lead to mold problems:

  • Flooding
  • Leaky roof
  • Sprinkler spray hitting the house
  • Plumbing leaks and overflow from sinks or sewers
  • Damp basement or crawl space
  • Steam from showers or cooking or humidifiers
  • Wet clothes hung to dry indoors or a clothes dryer that exhausts indoors

Warped floors and discoloration on walls and ceilings can be indications of moisture problems. Condensation on windows or walls is also an important indication of excessive dampness and can be caused by some of the sources listed above. However, condensation also can be caused by an indoor combustion problem.

Therefore, inspect fuel-burning appliances annually, and contact your local utility or a professional heating contractor if you have questions.

Should I be concerned about mold in my home?

Yes. If indoor mold contamination is extensive, it can lead to very high and persistent exposures to airborne spores.  Persons exposed to high spore levels can become sensitized and develop allergies to the mold or they may develop other health problems (see below).

Mold growth also can damage your furnishings, such as carpets, chairs and sofas and cabinets. Clothes and shoes in damp closets can become soiled and start to fall apart. Unchecked, mold growth can seriously damage the structural elements in your home, for example, floors, walls and ceilings.

 

What symptoms can mold cause?

Molds produce health effects through inflammation, allergy or infection. Allergic reactions (often referred to as hay fever) are the most common responses following mold exposure.

Mold-exposed persons may experience some of the following symptoms:

• Respiratory problems, such as wheezing, difficulty breathing, and shortness of breath

• Nasal or sinus congestion

• Eye irritation (burning, watery, or reddened eyes)

• Cough

• Nose or throat irritation

• Skin rashes or irritation

Headaches, memory problems, mood swings, nosebleeds, body aches and pains, and fevers are occasionally reported in mold cases,

but their causes are not understood.

Follow by Email
Facebook
Google+
http://acmplus.com/mold/
Twitter
LinkedIn